Thursday, November 17, 2011

DIY Christmas Table

So I couldn't resist the Christmas temptation on Monday night while I was home alone and Shayne was at school. Any Scrooges - turn back now! As I mentioned in this post, we're going to do a silver & white tree theme so I wanted to match the rest of the house with those colors. We're the type of family that when you come up with little ideas like this, you should be prepared to be showered with "backup". My mom and sisters have already bought us enough ornaments and decorations to cover the tree, and to use for miscellaneous projects around the house. So, I figured the dining room table would help get some holiday fever out of my system. Here's a step-by-step look at how you can create your own table decorations without buying fancy centerpieces or spending a lot of money. In the first picture, I found this silver net material at Sam's Club in the Christmas decorations section, seen here in red. I'm not really sure what exactly you're supposed to use it for (the website says decorating and present wrapping) but I thought it was the perfect width for a table runner, and it was only 6 bucks for a large roll - I wasn't passing that up! Most of my ornaments were picked up by my Mom or sister at Walmart, Target, or other big department stores, and I always insist on checking Home Goods, Marshalls, and TJ Maxx because they always have hidden treasures in the home section.
 Layer runners with different widths to add dimension and different textures. I found this silky silver one at Marshall's for $10!
 Pick up miscellaneous boxes of ornaments. They don't have to be the best quality if you're using them for decorating
 Remember these? I placed them over my old place settings to keep a little bit of color
 These silver owl candles, from Marshall's, break up the Christmas theme but fit with the color scheme
 When you're ready for guests, tie ribbon around the dessert or wine glasses and add a name tag or festive saying for extra decoration
 My first "bird's eye" view.... missing something
 Add pops of color if it looks too bland. I wove red ribbon through my vintage cake stand
One antique mirror and some red ribbon later... Complete!

2 comments: