Thursday, October 27, 2011

Green Living

Green is not usually my go-to color for anything but when we picked out paint colors for various rooms, we decided on green for our living room.  Some days I go back and forth about it, but it works for now. You might see an update to the paint color a while down the road! Despite all the lovely, fancy furniture stores in DC, we found everything we needed at Value City Furniture - including our elephant above the couch. This grey couch was sitting up front at the store and we kept circling back to it until we decided that was the one.  I love that each piece is seperate and you can move it around to make any shape you want. Since we live in a 1930's DC row home, a lot of our rooms are long and narrow so it was easiest to "make" a long couch along the wall and leave one piece seperate like a chair.  All of our ceilings are really high as well so I was so excited to finally get a big bookshelf! There is a TV in this living room, I just didn't take any pictures of that corner because it sits on a plain black corner stand - I'm hoping to upgrade in the spring to some kind of white stand, like this or this, but I need to find the right one first. We use the ottoman as our coffee table by adding small serving trays to hold drinks, and it's easy to move around based on where we sit (it's also safe for newly walking babies like my niece Olivia!) Another great feature of the house are the numerous archways into each room, which you can see from the first picture.  I'm already scheming a lot of Christmas decorating ideas for them! Like I mentioned in a previous post about our bedroom - each room is a work-in-progress so I'm sure things will change, but here's the start!

Before (the whole house was painted tan, some rooms still are)
Couch & Elephant Painting: Value City Furniture. Pillows, Bookshelf and lantern lamp: IKEA,
Rug: Shayne brought home from Afghanistan
Bookshelves don't have to be just for books! I have pictures, old teapots, candles and these mason jars with wine corks on different shelves.
Antique Irons for bookends
View from the dining room. Love the big windows! Curtains & Hardware are from Bed, Bath & Beyond and the round end table is an old cable spool from a factory in my hometown where my grandfather worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment