Monday, January 23, 2012

An Ode to Joe!


Although this blog has never been about football, sports, or my love for either, a legacy left us this weekend - one that I can't ignore. My entire family, including my grandparents were born and raised in Central Pennsylvania; a little over an hour down the road from State College, Pennsylvania. With that, we were all raised Penn State fans, and most importantly JoePa fans. I never really understood the enormity of the school or the team until I got older because it was always just a part of our life. My grandmother has gone to every single game, home and away, for the past 30 years of her life and not until the past few years have we realized the impact of her love for the team and how it has affected us.   My sisters and I laugh now because we catch ourselves saying things like "Well when you get married, you can't plan a fall wedding because Nanny will be at the games every Saturday", or "I don't know if I can make it, or plan something that weekend - who is Penn State playing?". Now that I don't live at home I've been trying to get home to go to more games than I ever did when I lived there - and always in anticipation of seeing Joe. In light of all this scandal, it saddens me that the greatest coach in college football history has passed during a time where many will question his motives, but for those of us that are Penn State fans, or if you were/are a student will know better to appreciate what he was as a man and not just a coach. It really is a love no one can understand unless you were born, bred, or went to school with the Penn State family. There's so many things that could be said about such a great man, father, husband and "Coach" but I'll leave it at what we all already know. Rest Easy Joe!

In Honor of a great university (back to what my blog IS about)  you can see some of my favorite Penn State gear below - brought to you by Polyvore.

No comments:

Post a Comment